Monday, March 19, 2012

New York, New York


Hello All,

I wish I could've updated you sooner, but I was in New York City, and did not have the internet access I thought I would.  Anyway, it is with joy that I will now share my experience with you, as it is an opportunity for me to relive what was arguably my best week since freshman year.

The event that took me to New York was the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS,) national conference.  This was an opportunity we organized through Alpha Phi Sigma, which is the criminal justice honors society (just another opportunity within the major!)

We departed last Tuesday, and after a rather long van ride finally arrived in the Big Apple.  

Basically, the conference is set up with a series of panel presentations running throughout the day, and one can pick where she wants to spend her time.  My favorite one discussed community policing and police legitimacy.  After the conference was over, I took the opportunity to explore the city with my friends.


This is me on a bridge in Central Park.  I want to live here.  (NYC, not specifically this bridge).

When I was little I loved the movie, "Balto," and approximately 14 years later, my dream of seeing this stature came true.  The gentleman on the left helped me find Balto, he is a 70-year resident of New York, he gives tours of the city now.   
The rest of the trip was mainly filled with the conference, while I wanted to see as much of the city as I could, I also wanted to hear as many presentations as possible...thus a return to New York is in order.  Below are some other fantastic things I got to do while I was there, which I gladly am posting to delay the game of catch-up I am not playing since I missed four days of class for the conference.
Beautiful.  

Construction of the Freedom Towers

Now back to catching up, 
Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment