Thursday, September 30, 2010

Today I did Archaeology

As I mentioned earlier I am taking Archaeology this term to meet my science requirement.  With this, I have a lab once a week, in which I've already done more than I ever imagined I'd be doing.  One week we sorted bones and teeth, and another week we made stone tools in a process called flint-knapping.

Today, however, our lab took us off campus to a field owned by Mercyhurst.  For about two hours we searched in a field for artifacts, a task which I proved to be somewhat challenged with.  After a number of "false-alarms," with "pretty rocks," I was hesitant to ask the professor about subsequent finds.  However, the most lovely piece of artifact caught my eye, and although I forget the specifics of its purpose, I know I stuck an orange flag in the ground to designate the find.  After this I also found a piece of glass and a flake that was used in tool making!  Despite this uptick of success in my search, I think I will be sticking with my criminal justice major for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment